Clio Logo
Historic Downtown Augusta (Broad Street)
Item 10 of 16
The Marion was originally built in 1914 as the Chronicle Office Building located at 737-739 Broad Street. Designed by the architect G.Lloyd Preacher in the Renaissance Revival style, it was considered one of Augusta's earliest multi-storied buildings. Although advertised as fireproof, this building sustained fire damage in 1916 and reopened in 1922 as the Marion Building.

  • Archival Photo of Marion Building
  • Postcard of Chronicle Building
  • Construction Phase of Chronicle Building
  • Artist's Rendering of Chronicle Building

Upon its completion in 1914, the Chronicle Building was considered one of the south's most modern and well equipped buildings of the time. The Architect, William G. Lloyd Preacher spoke on the building as possessing a heating system so effective that one could "overheat the building in zero weather, if desired."

The provided amenities attracted a crowd of wealthy investors, as approximately three-fourths of the building had been rented out before its completion. This served as an indicator of Augusta's growing popularity and economic development. However, the fire-proof structure was subject to flame in the great fire of 1916, and closed for renovation. The fire which spanned 32 blocks placed the city in financial disrepair, thus the Marion Building lost a majority of it tenants. 

After the necessary reparations were made, the Chronicle building was sold to Mr. Jacob Phinizy who renamed his property to the Marion Building. For the remainder of the 20th Century and up until the year 2012, the Marion housed a number of tenants including major companies such as the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway and the Postal Telegraph Company. 

The building has sat vacant for the past eight years, and the interior has been gutted for future sales.

“Formal Opening of ‘Augusta's First Skyscraper’; the New Chronicle Building Ready for Occupancy.” Augusta Chronicle, 13 Nov. 1914.

Historic Augusta Vertical Files: 739 Broad Street/Marion Building 

Pavey, Rob. “Marion Metamorphosis.” Augusta Chronicle, 12 May 2010.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Historic Augusta Vertical Files: 739 Broad Street/Marion Building

Historic Augusta Vertical Files: 739 Broad Street/Marion Building