Federal Boundary Stone: Northwest 4
This was the first boundary stone placed in Maryland. Placing this stone at its correct location along the District of Columbia-Maryland border, four miles from the west cornerstone, would have put it in the Potomac Gorge. Therefore, the stone is 1650 feet, or 100 poles, northeast of the four-mile mark. One face of the stone reads "Var. 0° 3' W," the magnetic compass variance at this location. The Daughters of the American Revolution placed a fence and plaque here in 1915. The stone is visible from the Capital Crescent Trail and within the grounds of the Dalecarlia Water Treatment Plant grounds, who will grant access to the stone upon request.
Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia. Early History, Accessed July 19th 2020. https://boundarystones.org/.
Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia. NW4, Accessed July 19th 2020. https://boundarystones.org/view.php?stone=NW4.
Browne, Allen C. Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 4, Historical Marker Database. January 8th 2020. Accessed July 19th 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=140886.