Rochester, Michigan's Revolutionary War Patriots
A walking tour through the Historic Acre of Rochester's Mount Avon Cemetery reveals the gravesites of four Revolutionary War patriots.
This location is the burial place of Private Nathaniel Baldwin, a Revolutionary War patriot who died in Rochester in 1840. Baldwin served with a line of Connecticut militia in 1775. Following his military service he moved from Goshen, Connecticut to Ontario County, New York. He came to Michigan in 1824 and settled near Rochester. Baldwin's burial place was identified and marked by the National Daughters of the American Revolution in 1909.
This location is the burial place of Dr. Cyrus Chipman, an allopathic physician and Revolutionary War patriot who died in 1840. Chipman served in Lee's Regiment of Vermont militia in 1781. Following his military service he moved to Ontario County, New York. He came to Michigan in 1821 aboard the steamer Walk-in-the Water and settled near Rochester.
This is the burial location of Benjamin Grant Loomis, a Revolutionary War soldier who died in Rochester, Michigan. Private Loomis served in Lt. Col. Isaac Sherman's 5th Connecticut Regiment in 1781. His pension record also indicates an additional term of service. Loomis moved to Ontario in 1798 and later settled in Rochester, Michigan, were he died in 1835.
This location is the burial place of Private George Horton, a Revolutionary War patriot who died in Rochester in 1835. Horton served with a line of Pennsylvania militia from 1780 to 1783. He moved from his Northampton County, Pennsylvania home to Canada in 1809, and migrated to Michigan in March 1825. His gravestone was dedicated by the Sons of the American Revolution in 2012.
Mount Avon Cemetery is significant as the first cemetery platted in Oakland County, Michigan. It is the burial place of many pioneer settlers of Oakland County, with graves dating as far back as 1817. The cemetery is the final resting place of four known Revolutionary War soldiers. It also contains a statue, locally known as "Billy Yank," that was dedicated in 1911 to honor Union soldiers who served in the Civil War. The cemetery has expanded from its original one-acre parcel to 22 acres in size. It is still an active cemetery today and is operated by the City of Rochester, Michigan.