2019 Barn Tour
The historic barns highlighted on the 2019 Barn Tour.
Scott and Erin Buchanan have been the owners of this farm in Delaware Township since 2011, and it has been in Erin's family for several generations. It is an excellent example of a later-era timber frame structure. The barn is impressively tall, with 16' straight queen posts. Built for hay storage, the original hay track and forms are still visible.
While the farm was originally settled by Judah Chase in the 1830s, this barn was built in the early 1900s, after the property changed hands to David Bishop. It was purchased by the Beagle family in 1977. The only gambrel roof barn on the Barn Tour in 2019, it was likely one of the last timber framed barns built in the area before transitioned to dimensional lumber. (c. 1900)
This English ground barn is a rarity for this part of Hancock County. Influenced by the New England settlers who once owned the property, the barn was built with a center truss system to provide a center drive bay. Decorative louvers and windows accentuate the exterior. Superior craftsmanship is exhibited in its detailing, both inside and out. Built in the 1850s, it was retrofitted to accommodate a hay track sometime in the early 20th century, and extensive steps were taken to preserve the barn in the 1960s.
Current owners, Dan and Rachel Haas, purchased this property in 2005 and are determined to preserve this unique barn. Settled by Sanford Smith in 1830, the land was once home to the Greer Orchard, a favorite among Hancock County residents. This is the first barn on any of the museum’s Historic Barn Tours to have benefitted from dendrochronology testing to establish its date of construction (1890). Despite its more recent construction, much of the barn is still hand-hewn, and the rafter and purlin plates are continuous 60’ timbers. Decorative and functional details on the exterior of the barn include louvers, windows, and painted “devil” doors.
The oldest structure on this year’s tour, Jeffrey Horn’s barn likely dates to the 1840s. It is almost entirely hand-hewn, save for some of the smaller braces that show early sash saw marks. The barn has “fish belly” ties to offer additional support against the winds, and the original wood shake roof is visible from the interior. The farm has been in the current owner’s family for nearly 100 years. Today, Jeff Horn uses the barn in his cow/calf and farrow-to-finish hog operations.