Backstory and Context
Thomas Welch and Dr. J.W. Hawk built the building 1919, naming it by combining their names into "Tomahawk." It is in a strong historic location, located along the historic main street near the depot, and dominates the City's skyline. The building housed numerous businesses including a hotel, business offices, pharmacy, bank, tavern, utility office, department stores-including a J.C. Penney, jewelry store, appliance store, furniture store, meat market, trophy shop, pool hall and bowling alley, to name a few. In 1929 it became the first Green River business to use neon signage. A basement fire nearly caused disaster for the landmark.
Today it is used in much the same manner it was originally designed to do, hosting a number of businesses on the ground floor. The 3-story brick hotel still bears ghost signs on the upper portions of the building.