Clio Logo
Historic Downtown Ruston Walking Tour
Item 14 of 22

An east-west railroad across north Louisiana was started before the Civil War. When the conflict broke out in 1861, the line from the Mississippi River had only reached Monroe, 30 miles east of here. The war and the economic hardships of the Reconstruction Era delayed the line's completion until 1884, the year Ruston was incorporated. City founder Robert E. Russ sold the land to bring the railroad through and give birth to the town of Ruston. The Illinois Central Railroad eventually acquired the line. Today it is operated by the Kansas City Southern RR.


  • V.S.&P. RR locomotive