2020 Historic Homes Tour
Homes featured on the 2020 Findlay Historic Homes Tour.
The John N. Doty house was built in 1892 by attorney John Doty. While Doty bought quite a bit of property during the gas and oil boom, the lot itself was bought by his wife Bertha on October 11, 1886 for $550. The home was built in the style of Colonial Revival. The property has changed hands a few times, and has had some modifications to the facade, including a porch addition and subsequently restoration.
The William E. Dorsey house was built by his father, who also bought the lot beside it. On these lots, he built two Foursquare style homes for his two sons that are mirror images of each other. This home was William's. while 1128 South Main was Ivan's. Ivan was only 17 when his home was built, so it was a rental property until he came of age. Ivan's home also had an identical porch to William's until it was removed . William's home stayed in the family for quite a few years, and has not seen too many major renovations in its time. The home is a great example of the strong American Foursquare style.
The lot that the Amy Glines Marvin House stands on was originally deeded to Amy Marvin from the Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church for $500. Amy built a smaller house on this lot than what is there now. Under new ownership, the home had major renovations done, including expansion.
This home was built by R. Lowell Heminger in 1928 in the style of Colonial Revival. Heminger was a major figure in Findlay, having been a part of local newspapers for most of his life. He, along with his wife Golda, were very active in the community and have certainly left their mark on Findlay.
Built by Arthur D. Patterson in 1929, this French Eclectic style was used to resemble French farmhouses he saw while serving in the European Theater during World War I. The facade has undergone some updates, but for the most part remains unchanged. The Patterson family was a major part of Findlay for decades.
In 1888, John Decker built this home on two lots. It is in the Second Empire style, marked by a mansard roof with fish scale shaped slates. The original roof had an iron cresting. Brick corbeling was used as decoration around the roof and used as trim on either side of the lintels at the top of each window. The home also had intricate tinwork, which served as both a unique touch and advertisement for Decker's business, The Ohio Tin and Copper Company. Shown on an early map, there was also a summer kitchen present on the property. This was moved to 1309 Douglass Parkway by 1902.