Trinity Episcopal Church
Backstory and Context
Trinity Episcopal Church was founded on September 29, 1889. At that time, Pocatello only had one street but the town would grow quickly in the coming years. The congregation initially gathered on the second floor of a building owned by a railroad but built its first church in November. This church was located at the corner of present-day North Main and West Lander Streets.
Interestingly, the church was built on a large buffalo wallow (a watering hole for wildlife including buffalo). Apparently, cows would gather next to the church in the shade and even rub their backs on its pilings. The congregation had enough of the cows and relocated to where the church is now in 1893. It was moved once again in 1897 to make room for the current church building. The old church was moved behind the new church and was used for a variety purposes including Sunday school. It was replaced in the mid-1930s when a new church hall was built.
Hibbard, Don J. "Trinity Episcopal Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. February 17, 1978. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/78001045_text.
"When Trinity Came To Be." Trinity Episcopal Church. Accessed April 10, 2020. http://www.trinitypocatello.org/our-history.html.
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trinity_Episcopal_Church_Pocatello_ID.jpg