Barbie’s Birthday tour
The site of the former Texas School Book Depository has served a variety of purposes throughout the years. Originally owned by John Neely Bryan, the founder of Dallas, the site became a wagon shop operated by French immigrant Maxime Guillot during the 1880s. In 1894, Phil L. Mitchell, President and Director of Rock Island Plow Company of Illinois purchased the land and built an office building for the company’s Texas division. This structure burned down in 1901. It was rebuilt that same year. In 1937, the Carraway Byrd Corporation bought the property and leased it to a number of businesses, including the Texas School Book Depository.
On November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated from a window facing the Dealey Plaza on the sixth floor of this building, which was the Texas School Book Depository at the time. Lee Harvey Oswald, an employee at the depository, was charged with the crime. The Sixth Floor Museum commemorates this tragic and one of the most consequential events in American history. The museum features films, artifacts, and photographs related to Kennedy's life and legacy. In all, the museum houses 45,000 of these items. Topics covered include the history and culture of the 1960s and the local and global aftermath of his death. The building itself was constructed in 1898, but after a fire, it was reconstructed and erected in 1901.
Dealey Plaza is a nice but smaller public park located in the West End section of downtown Dallas Texas. Dealey Plaza has a spot in America’s history for a few reasons, but mainly its connection to an American President. President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated in his motorcade while campaigning in Texas on Main Street at Dealey Plaza. Ever since the assassination of John F. Kennedy, Dealey Plaza has been put on the map as a darker spot of American history.
On November 22 1963, President Kennedy and his wife left their hotel and were making their way through the downtown streets of Dallas, Texas so the President could speak at a luncheon. Crowds gathered along the edges of the streets so they could wave at the Kennedys. John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States of America, was shot in the head at approximately 12:30pm. Several shots were fired hitting the President and the Governor. Many conspiracy theories continue to circulate about what exactly happened that day in Dealey Plaza.
The Old Red Museum of Dallas County History and Culture is located in the former city courthouse which was built in 1892 and designed by architect Max A. Orlopp Jr. in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The museum chronicles the city and surrounding region's social, economic, political and cultural history from prehistoric times to today. The Early Years exhibit covers prehistory to 1873; the Trading Center exhibit explores the period between 1874-1917 when Dallas grew to become an important economic center; the "Big D" exhibit looks at the years between 1918-1945 when the city became well known to the country; and the World Crossroads exhibit covers the period from 1946 to 2007, chronicling the city's emergence as home to big corporations, sports teams, among others. One of the many highlights on display are the handcuffs worn by Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who assassinated President John F. Kennedy.
This marker is located at the JFK Memorial, a “cenotaph”, or open tomb, which commemorates John F. Kennedy, the nation’s thirty-fifth president, who was assassinated in Dallas on November 22, 1963. The plaza was dedicated on June 24, 1970. In 1999, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza undertook management of the monument. This museum is located on the floor of the old Texas School Book Deposity building where it is believed Lee Harvey Oswald took the shots that killed President Kennedy. The alleged sniper’s perch at the sixth floor window is preserved as part of the museum.