Grace Temple Church of God in Christ
Grace Temple Church of God in Christ was the third of four churches that Josephine Pankey donated land for in the Pankey community.
Backstory and Context
After donating land for Pankey Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1911 and First Baptist Church of Pankey in 1929, land for this church was donated by Mrs. Pankey. In 1940 Grace Temple Church of God in Christ was formed. It, along with the others, served as a school during the week.
Fred and Annie Fulton were instrumental in carrying out the ideals and beliefs of the founders of the church. It is one of two churches that are still in existence today that Mrs. Pankey donated land for its establishment in the Pankey community. The other church still in existence is First Baptist Church of Pankey.
She donated land in 1947 for a Colored Methodist Episcopal church to be built. It was never built and the land eventually was sold to a private owner.
Marion Fulk, “Josephine Irvin Harris Pankey,” accessed November 27, 2019, https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/josephine-irvin-harris-pankey-9144/
Nancy Robinson Lott and Regina Norwood, Josephine: Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Mrs. Josephine Pankey (Little Rock: Friends of Josephine Pankey, 2012)
Nancy Robinson Lott and Regina Norwood, “Pankey (Pulaski County),” accessed November 27, 2019, https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/pankey-pulaski-county-5934/