Robert S. Peabody Institute of Archaeology, 1901-1903, at Phillips Academy
Backstory and Context
By 1901, this single site at the corner of Main and Phillips Streets served four different buildings in less than 125 years, setting an early precedent for the wholesale relocation of buildings at Phillips Academy, which became standard practice during Charles Platt's tenure as campus architect in the 1920s.
Robert Singleton Peabody, valedictorian of the Phillips Academy class of 1857 and the nephew of George Peabody, the noted philanthropist who established an anthropology museum at Harvard, bequeathed his collection of 40,000 artifacts to the school in 1901, facilitating the establishment of the museum. Peabody provided $150,000 to establish a museum, hire a curator and any other necessary staff, and create a department of archaeology at Phillips Academy. He hoped that his museum would attract boys to the archaeology field and would also provide a space for social gatherings. Although the school was in great need of more basic facilities, particularly dormitory space, the Phillips Academy trustees could not turn down this generous gift and gratefully accepted.
Academy Hill: The Andover Campus, 1778 to the Present. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.
Allis, Frederick S., Jr. Youth From Every Quarter: A Bicentennial History of Phillips Academy, Andover. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1979.
Domingue, Robert A. Phillips Academy Andover, Massachusetts: An Illustrated History of the Property (including Abbot Academy). Wilmington, Mass.: Hampshire Press, 1990.
Montgomery, Susan J. and Roger G. Reed. Phillips Academy Andover: An Architectural Tour. New York: Princeton University Press, 2000.
Phillips Academy Archives and Special Collections