Andover Inn, 1929-1930, at Phillips Academy
Backstory and Context
As late as February 1929, plans were underway to demolish the Phillips Inn's wooden ell and build two new wings, faced with granite to harmonize with Stowe House. Soon thereafter, however, Phillips Academy chose to move the old stone building to Bartlet Street and build an entirely new inn on the original site.
The Andover Inn has 23 guest rooms on three stories. A two-story wing extends back from the left rear of the building, framing a yard that overlooks Rabbit Pond. A stone wall once enclosed an elaborate garden designed by Olmsted Brothers and Charles Platt.
Although owned by Phillips Academy, the inn has always been independently managed.
Academy Hill: The Andover Campus, 1778 to the Present. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.
Allis, Frederick S., Jr. Youth From Every Quarter: A Bicentennial History of Phillips Academy, Andover. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1979.
Domingue, Robert A. Phillips Academy Andover, Massachusetts: An Illustrated History of the Property (including Abbot Academy). Wilmington, Mass.: Hampshire Press, 1990.
Montgomery, Susan J. and Roger G. Reed. Phillips Academy Andover: An Architectural Tour. New York: Princeton University Press, 2000.
Phillips Academy Archives and Special Collections