Chapel Cemetery, 1810-1820, at Phillips Academy
Backstory and Context
Historical records do not mention a name for the burial ground until later in the 19th century. In 1874 a group formed the cemetery association. It was enlarged in 1910 by the Olmsted Brothers and protected by a fieldstone wall. It is now surrounded by classroom and dormitory buildings. Headstones or small monuments mark most graves. One exception is an ornate gothic marble and stone monument to Leonard Woods, professor of Christian Theology at Andover Theological seminary, who died in 1854. Also buried here are Professor Calvin Stowe and his wife Harriet Beecher Stowe, who lived in Andover for twelve years.
Academy Hill: The Andover Campus, 1778 to the Present. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.
Allis, Frederick S., Jr. Youth From Every Quarter: A Bicentennial History of Phillips Academy, Andover. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1979.
Domingue, Robert A. Phillips Academy Andover, Massachusetts: An Illustrated History of the Property (including Abbot Academy). Wilmington, Mass.: Hampshire Press, 1990.
Montgomery, Susan J. and Roger G. Reed. Phillips Academy Andover: An Architectural Tour. New York: Princeton University Press, 2000.
Phillips Academy Archives and Special Collections