Reconstructed Run-In Shed
In August 2018, museum staff took the first step in reconstructing a lost farm building at Belmont by pouring the foundation for a replicate of the run-in shed that served as a shelter for the Melcherses’ farm animals. The original structure was long gone, razed due to decay sometime in the early 1970s, not long before the property opened as a memorial to the career of Gari Melchers. Since then, staff have been committed to realizing the most complete restoration possible of the couple’s small farming enterprise. The recreated run-in shed stands in the exact location of the earlier building, directly adjoining the 1921 cow barn.