Backstory and Context
Carroll Stadium is home to Indiana University- Purdue University (IUPUI) soccer and track and field teams. This stadium was originally built in 1982 with a projected cost of seven million dollars to build and currently seats over 12,100 spectators. Since opening day Caroll Stadium has been recognized as an elite track and field venue hosting NCAA champions, the 1987 Pan American Games, and 1988 Olympic Trials.
- (n.d.) Michael A.Carroll Stadium. IUPUI Athletics. Retrieved April 11, 2020 https://iupuijags.com/facilities/michael-a-carroll-stadium/7
- Team USA(n.d.) About Carroll Stadium. United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee. Retrieved April 11, 2020 https://www.teamusa.org/US-Paralympics/Events/2012/June/29/US-Paralympics-Trials-Track-and-Field/About-Carroll-Stadium
- Richardson, Doug (September 14, 1982) “Four Killed in Indianapolis Crash Remembered as Valuable Civic Leaders” AP News Retrieved April 11, 2020 from https://apnews.com/ee756294385176d60c9a6ccfbbaf9ae4
- Atkin, R. (1983, Jun 06). Indianapolis: A sports city in high gear beyond the 500.The Christian Science Monitor Retrieved from https://proxy.lib.wayne.edu/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.proxy.lib.wayne.edu/docview/1037930600?accountid=14925
- Wallechinsky, D. (1992). The Complete Book of the Olympics. United States: Little, Brown., pp.147-149, 166-167
- World Athletics (n.d.) Athletic Profile- Florence Griffith Joyner-Results. World Athletics. Retrieved April 13, 2020 https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/united-states/florence-griffith-joyner-60674