Clio Logo

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church is the oldest Greek Orthodox church in the state. It was built in 1915 and remains an important religious and cultural center for the local Greek Orthodox community. Its Byzantine Revival design is notable as well. Interesting features include a red-brick exterior, round-arched windows with stained glass, a square bell tower above the main entrance, and a round tower with small windows in the center of the roof. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.


  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church was built in 1915.

In the early 1900s, Pocatello was a growing town thanks to the thriving livestock and railroad industries (Pocatello was an important transportation hub). Opportunities for employment attracted large numbers of workers including Greek immigrants. In fact by 1910, 35% of the Greek population of Idaho lived in Bannock County. One of these immigrants, Alex Katsilometes, chose the name of the new church. He donated a significant amount of money for its construction and was considered the church godfather. For this reason he was asked to choose the name. Local architect Charles B. Onderdonk designed it. The church continues to be an important center for the local Greek Orthodox community today.

Epperson, Terrence. "Church of the Assumption." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 1, 1979. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/d07efa5e-5bca-429d-b820-2a5ace38be58.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church