Saranac Lake Free Library
In 1907, the Saranac Lake Free Library committee started a building fund to construct a new library building in a lot on Main Street was purchased for $2000 from Dr. Lawrason Brown, whose house and office was next door. The new building was designed by Scopes and Feustmann and built, in 1910, by Branch and Callanan; it was one room, with a basement, and had room for 5,500 books. By 1925, the collection had grown to 8,000 volumes, and C.H. Ludington funded an addition as a memorial to his wife. In the late 1960s, a further expansion was funded by Edmond Guggenheim. Further additions were made in 1984 and 2002; by 2007, the collection had grown to 70,000 volumes.
Saranac Lake Free Library , Historic Saranac Lake Local Wiki . Accessed April 9th 2020. https://localwiki.org/hsl/Guild_House.