Konneker Education Museum
This building was the Old Seceders Presbyterian Church on South Street, lot #89; it was part of the Union Schools, 1867-1884. A Miss Anne Holmes, granddaughter of old Father White, taught a room in the back of the Old Seceders church on the corner of Washington and South streets. The Old Seceders built a small stone church on South street . . . This building, later used for school purposes . . . In 1867 the Board purchased the one-story stone building east of the Christian church, often referred to as the Old Seceders church and remodeled it for school purposes.
Backstory and Context
On a wintery day in 2005, the old schoolhouse became ablaze and a great portion of the center section was destroyed. Up to that point its use had been a two-family rental. Fortunately there were folks, including the Greenfield Historical Society officers, who saw a vision for its future and had the courage to see that this piece of Greenfield history did not disappear. Since the fire, it has undergone extensive repair and is now the Konneker Education Museum.
Today, the Konneker Education Museum is used for education-related displays, meeting room, and venue for the Annual Spring Tea held each April.