Sotterley Colonial Revival Garden
This garden is cared for by the Sotterley Garden Guild, an organization made up of dedicated volunteers that keep this garden beautiful for public enrichment and enjoyment. Overlooking the Patuxent River, this garden was created during the Satterlee era of ownership 1910-1940 and maintained during Mabel Ingalls ownership. It is now maintained by the museum with the help of the Sotterley Garden Guild. When the Satterlee's purchased Sotterley in 1910, this area was a typical farm garden with vegetables, strawberries, and fruit bearing trees. One brick outhouse, or "Necessary" already existed. With the Satterlee's Colonial Revival vision, the garden was transformed to resemble an English Manor House garden, adding a brick wall, ornamental trees and shrubs, beds of flowers for every season, roses, boxwood, and herbs. A rose arbor, sundial, wishing "well" and other features for seating were added. Satterlee also created another structure that matched the "Necessary" and placed it on the opposite side of the garden for symmetry. He installed a flagpole to fly the U.S. flag, which he himself raised and lowered everyday while in residence. The garden was organized in "rooms" where garden gatherings and events could be held. Spring, Summer, and Fall is yet another glorious display for visitors to enjoy of flowers, colors, pleasant smells and views, the beautiful birds and insects, and joyful guests that inhabit these spaces.
Backstory and Context