1940 WPA Gym
Instead of building a new gym by the 1914 Schoolhouse, it was decided Washington’s school district should relocate to the 1874 Courthouse following the county seat’s removal in 1939, with the Works Progress Administration building the gym next door. Besides hosting sports like basketball and tennis, the gym hosted the school’s cafeteria, and events like assemblies, plays, and graduations. It became the primary performance venue for the town, and started hosting arts and crafts vendors for the Jonquil Festival. The park took control of the building after the school district closed, and operates the facility for group rentals and performances. This building is available to registered guests only.