When the Japanese began their offensive in the Aleutians in June, the Umnak base only had four thousand troops stationed there. Buckner had wanted a far larger force to be stationed at Fort Glenn, but would only receive around twenty-three hundred more. Fort Glenn would go on to be the launching point for the US counterattack in the Aleutians and for the bombings of Japanese bases in Attu and Kiska. Fort Glenn would consist of four 5,000-foot runways with two of them only being separated by ten degrees. This unorthodox design likely had to with the rough terrain of the island. The site was transferred over to the Bureau of Land Management between 1952 and 1955. While the base has been abandoned and deconstructed, the outlines of the former runways can still be seen today.