The Cardinal's Residence
Designed by Alfred F. Pashley in 1800 and was built on the site of a former Catholic cemetary. The entire block was originally owned by Archdiocese of Chicago; once the residence was built, the rest of the block was gradually sold off. Red brick & sandstone were used in the Queen Anne style with turrets, gables dormers and 19 chimneys. There is corbelled brickwork and stone bands between courses of brick. The property features a Porte-Cachiere for carriages and cars and a Coach house just south of Cardinal's mansion. Note the wooden pavers in alleyway behind coach house, this is the last wooden block alleyway in the city.