The Colony House (c. 1840) served as a boarding school for the Collins' six sons. When the Collins boys were old enough, they mover of their parents' home and into this boarding school. All together, six boys, a tutor, the plantation minister, and 25 Plott hound dogs lived in this four-room schoolhouse. Today, this is the visitor center and gift shop. A 10-minute orientation is offered in the visitor center, and all visitors are encouraged to attend an orientation before starting their self-guided tour.