Clio Logo

In 1900, the former First Presbyterian Church which occupied this site became the property of the Daviess County Bank and Trust Company. At this time the Greek Revival, limestone facade was added, which replaced the old church building's belfry and vestibule. Above the entrance "A.D. 1900" was carved in the stone. The clock in front of the building was purchased in 1914 by Central Trust Company and stood on the corner of Fourth and Frederica streets. When Central Trust Company moved to this location the clock accompanied the business and was attached to the front of the building above the front door. In 1984 the Central Bank and Trust Company replaced the building but saved the classical front and incorporated it into the new design. Bank directors chose to save the historical front because of its historical value and local interest.


  • Central Trust Company Lobby
  • Artist's illustration of building in 1984
  • Central Trust Company 1921
  • Central Bank and Trust Company during construction in 1984. View is looking east.
  • Central Bank and Trust Company during construction in 1984. View is looking west.
  • Central Bank and Trust Company during construction in 1984. View is from inside the remaining front.
  • Central Bank and Trust Company after construction in 1984.
  • Central Bank and Trust Company after construction in 1984.
  • Photo of the corner of Third and St. Ann streets. Central Trust Company building can be seen in the background.

In 1848 the First Presbyterian Church erected a building on this site. The church was of a conventional design and served the congregation until 1890 when they erected a new church building. The Daviess County Bank and Trust Company bought the building in 1900. They demolished the old Presbyterian church in order to erect a new building suitable for banking. The new building was erected by Capt. J.J. Williams, a local architect. It was during this time that the Greek Revival, limestone facade was added. The Daviess County Bank and Trust Company fell victim to the panic of 1907 and was absorbed by the United States National Bank. In 1921, the US National Bank was liquidated to the Central Trust Company. In 1965, the board of directors changed the name to Central Bank and Trust Company.

In 1984, the Central Bank and Trust Company tore down the majority of the structure to build a modern bank building. The Bank Directors and the architects at Collignon & Nunley Architects PSC chose to save the classical front and to use limestone and insulating glass to compliment the existing structure. This is the structure you see today.

"Architects provide "Something old, something new"." Messenger-Inquirer (Owensboro) March 4th 1984. Sunday ed.5.

"Open House Latest Bank Milestone." Messenger-Inquirer (Owensboro) March 4th 1984. Sunday ed, 2-4.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Daviess County Public Library Kentucky Room

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984

Messenger-Inquirer 03-04-1984