696 Peachtree Street Apartments was considered a luxury apartment complex in the 1920s. It is one of only a few of its type built in Atlanta and retains its Georgian decoration and use as apartments. The early twentieth-century garden-style apartment complex was much more common in the city than this tall structure.
Peachtree Street was the commercial corridor of Atlanta; the street also was lined with grand Victorian homes on large lots for the upper-middle class in the 1870's and 1880's. As affluent residents began to move to new suburbs by the turn of the twentieth century with the availability of streetcar lines and automobiles, room became available in the city for apartment complexes. High-rise apartment buildings rose in popularity with the advent of the electric elevator in the late nineteenth century.
With corporate headquarters and new hotels being built in the city, the importance of modern apartment offerings to attract new residents was acknowledged. A 1924 article in City Builder lauded the beauty, size, and permanence of construction of new apartment buildings, many of which were built of fireproof construction.
The owner sponsored the NRHP nomination of the apartment building which was written by Georgia State University graduate students. the building now houses 40 residential condominium units.