There is no other tree or bush or shrub save one Elm tree, which stands on a small elevation near the little creek or branch. The travellers allways [sic] stop where there is water sufficient for all their animals. The grass is fine every place, it is so tall in some places as to conceal a man's waist. We crossed the branch and stretched our tent. 
By 1857, the elm was reduced to a stump, and the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon Trails were to meet a similar fate. The trails gradually went out of use when improved alternative routes were constructed, and pre-Civil War skirmishes between Kansas and Missouri residents deterred travelers from passing through. The opening of the Transcontinental Railroad in the 1869 brought in a new era of travel by rail rather than by wagon. The Daughters of the American Revolution erected a pink granite historical marker at the spot to commemorate the significance of Lone Elm in the history of westward expansion. An elaborate unveiling ceremony and program were held on November 9, 1906. 
Archaeological excavations at the site have uncovered some artifacts from the time period when the trails were in use, although none could be definitively tied to camping pioneers.  Only one remaining portion of the wagon swale is defined enough to view. Three hand-dug water wells that were constructed in the late 1800s remain as well.  Urban sprawl has threatened other existing portions of the trails, and so the Lone Elm Campground Swale is one of the only remaining parts of the trails in the metro area.  In 2004, the Lone Elm Park was dedicated, with 155 acres containing soccer and baseball fields, picnic shelters, a walking trail, and historical information panels.