The streetcars were back in business by 1910 with the help of U.S Senator William A. Clark. The new publicly-funded streetcars were fully electrified and were the
first streetcars in the U.S operated by a single conductor. The line carried passengers to the business districts of Missoula, providing
much needed foot traffic to local businesses such as the Missoula Mercantile. The streetcar system was so efficient and reliable that it also functioned as a timekeeping device for local residents. According to Ellen Baumler, “Montana urbanities would set their watches to the streetcar’s schedule” [p.68-69].
The Missoula Street Railway Company took control of the streetcars in 1924 and continued to operate the
streetcars until 1932. Due to the invention of the automobile, ticket sales sharply declined and the streetcars were scrapped and retired in 1932.
One abandoned streetcar, old No. 50, became a camping shelter for hunters; it soon became vandalized and neglected. In 1974,
No.50 was donated to the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula. The restored streetcar is now on display at the museum.