The Brownell Statue was a gift to Trinity College from Bishop Brownell’s son-in-law. It was originally meant to stand over his grave, but his family felt it would be better off standing over the college he founded. The statue was designed by Chauncey Bradley Ives in Rome and cast by Ferdinand von Miller Foundry in Munich. The price of the statue at the time was around $3,500, or $10,000 in gold. The price of the pedestal was $5,000.
On November 11, 1869, the opening ceremony for the statue was conducted at the original Washington Campus by Bishop Williams, Bishop Potter, the president of the College, and C.F. Cleveland, the former governor of Connecticut. It moved to the Trinity campus in 1878. Brownell’s pose resembles an orator, designed to look like he has authority over the people he is talking to. The 30 foot statue is wearing an official clergy outfit and holding a prayer book. The Brownell Statue has become a staple landmark of Trinity College as many gatherings occur under his shade, including Convocation and Commencement. A Student at Trinity College is quoted: “he is the symbol of the beginning and the end of our time at Trinity College.”