Rock Island Confederate Cemetery
The Rock Island Confederate Cemetery serves as the final resting place for nearly 2,000 Confederate soldiers who died at Rock Island Arsenal 1863 - 1865. Rock Island was home to a Confederate Prisoner of War Camp that had over 12,000 soldiers pass through its gates. The cemetery, located in the middle of the island, on the south side of Rodman Avenue was established in 1864. In 1908 the Commission for Marking the Graves of Confederate Dead placed the distinctive pointed-top marble stones on each grave site.