The Establishment of Johnson C Smith Universtiy
Above is the construction of the Biddle Memorial Hall it was named after mary duke biddle who donated generously to the school it was a 600 seat chamber and an annex for the church .
Above is the football team in from of carnagie hall in 1917
Above is the student news paper for the school when it was just starting out. the reason why there are no women picture is because before 1932 JSCU was an all male school
Above are the founders of the school SC Alexander and WL Miller both of whom where White presbytirian ministers and one of whom was a Confederate and former slave holder.
Backstory and Context
In 1925 the Board of Education the college became a four year college. in 1932 though widely considered a school exclusively for men now became a slightly coeducated school. In 1944 JSCU joined the united negro college fund which is an organization that funds scholarships for African American students and also General scholarships for African American Colleges.Because of the generous donation given to the school by Mary Duke Biddle a building was erected in her memory it was built in 1883 as a 600 seat chamber and annex for the chapel.
In the year 1967 the school celebrated its 100th birthday and it was a time of great prosperity. the school looked at its past and "made new and exciting plans for the future of the school. The Expansion and growth of JSCU was a reflection of how it came from the beginning in 1867 till then. Since the year 1968 JCSU has had several state of the art building built. The growth and expansion shows how much this school came from its infancy in 1867 to now.