Riverview Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005 for its historical significance in landscape architecture and association with the conservation efforts of Wilson B. Pettibone, who created the park in 1909. The park is 465 acres in size and features a statue of Hannibal native Mark Twain, a caretaker's house, a memorial stone and plaque commemorating Pettibone, and retaining walls. The park, which was previously farmland and fully developed by 1929, was designed by Ossian C. Simonds in the prairie style. This meant that it was meant to be for passive enjoyment than recreational use. As such, this is why initially there are no ball fields, playgrounds, and picnic tables. Today, there is a playground, picnic tables and shelters, restrooms, and paved and unpaved trails.