Constructed in 1928, this historic hotel became the first skyscraper between St. Louis and Kansas City. This was the leading hotel of the city and boasted luxurious and state-of-the-art features such as an ice water cooling system. The hotel closed in the 1980s and the building was converted to retirement condos and operated as the Kennington for many years but retained the original Tiger sign on the building's roof. This sign, like the building itself, has long been one of the leading landmarks in Columbia. the building underwent an extensive renovation in 2011 and once again serves as the leading downtown hotel on the road between Missouri's two largest cities.