Clio Logo

STURGEON BAY CITY HALL AND FIRE HOUSE, 1910


  • Current building.

This is the third municipal building that Sturgeon Bay has had. The first Village Hall was destroyed by fire in 1880, the first City Hall was displaced when the "new" library was being constructed in 1910. In 1935, an addition or annex (30-36 S. Third) was constructed. Originally a stable and a "lock up" were located at the rear and a hose drying tower of wood construction was at the northwest corner. In 1919, the fire-fighting operation boasted of "three paid men and four horses.” The building is designed in a local interpretation of the Classical Revival style and is built of grey, local limestone. The design of this building is in imitation of a Roman temple with an implied central pavilion with a pediment fashioned of blocks of limestone and supported by three carved Ionic pilasters (Bedford limestone) all above a new and enlarged garage type door. The first story is of alternating width courses of grey, local limestone laid as rusticated ashlar. The upper story is of regularly coursed, rock-faced ashlar. A one-story addition to the north, also of local limestone, was built in 1935. The City Hall is of architectural significance as the most "classically" detailed of the local limestone buildings located within the District.1

1. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/83004282_text