The Fort Worth Botanic Garden was established in 1933, making it the oldest botanic garden in the state. It is historically significant for its landscape design and terraced municipal rose garden, which was modeled after Italian and French formal gardens of the 16th-18th centuries. It features a water cascade, geometric flower beds, a reflection pool, and a pond. The garden has grown to over 20 specialty garden spaces and also features a rain forest conservatory, a perennial trial garden, and a boardwalk. Another highlight is the Japanese garden, which was added in 1973 and includes a koi (fish) pond, waterfall, teahouse complex, pagoda, and bridges.
The Fort Worth Municipal Rose Garden officially opened on October 15, 1933. At the time it was part of Rock Springs Park, which was established in 1912 and gradually developed with trails, ponds, waterfalls, and lagoons. Landscape architecture firm Hare & Hare designed the rose garden and developed a comprehensive plan for the rest of the park. In 1934, the park's name was changed to the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. The Japanese garden was designed by Kingsley Wu and is located on a gravel pit once used as a trash midden by the army during WWII. A modern Garden Center was built in the mid-1980s.