165 North 3rd Avenue
TIFT AND HAY HARDWARE STORE, 1889
Backstory and Context
The building had been in continuous use as a hardware store until 1979. An ornately detailed entablature and cornice of corbelled brickwork provides a hint of Classical Revival detailing to this otherwise plain but visually prominent, corner building. Of cream-colored brick, trimmed with limestone sills and lintels, the building retains its original storefront opening although modern materials have been used in recent modifications. The primary facade is six bays wide with the brickwork forming implied pilasters separating the two outer hays. The building extends the full depth of the lot and a side entry faces Kentucky Street. A smaller addition to the rear, built with similar materials and designed with similar detailing, was built as a tin shop in 1901.