New Central Restaurant
New Central Restaurant, originally Central Restaurant, was located on the first floor of Charles Washington Hall in Charles Town. Nicholas Carson, mayor of Charles Town from 1948 to 1968, bought the restaurant in 1933 and operated it for 52 years. This white-owned restaurant was segregated for many years. African Americans were not allowed to eat in the restaurant and black cooks had to enter the building through a back door.