In 1879, The Kings Mountain Centennial Association (KMCA) formed in the City of Kings Mountain, North Carolina, located eight miles from the battlefield. The association looked for private, and public funding to purchase the battlefield and to pay for the monument.
The association looked for private, and public funding
to purchase the battlefield and to pay for the monument. As the first act of preservation of the
battlefield, the association purchased 39.5 acres of the battlefield for
$197.50. The KMCA then designed and
erected the granite Centennial Monument and planned the celebration surrounding
its unveiling on October 7, 1880. The three-day
celebration included Reunion Day, Military Day, and Centennial Day. The wooded ridge was cleared for military
maneuvers, and the flags of the original
thirteen colonies were flown near the newly erected grandstand on top of the
ridgeline. 15,000 people attended the celebration.
The Grand Lodge of the Masonic Order performed a
cornerstone ceremony on June 23, 1880, and laid a copper box containing various
documentation on past and present commemoration activities in the cornerstone.