Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum
Housed in the historic Engine House No. 3, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum is dedicated to the preserving the legacy of the city's firefighting history. It was established in 1974 and opened on a limited basis in 1981. The station itself was built in 1893 and designed in the Romanesque Revival style. Visitors will learn about the growth and development of the city's fire department and see firefighting equipment, artifacts, hoses, old fire engines, photographs, and even a replica of a fire chief's buggy on display.
Backstory and Context
Long, Tracy N. "Engine House No. 3." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. July 27, 1979. https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/shaard/r/1cf6e/N/Engine_House_%233_Allen_CO_Nom.pdf.
R. Kayleen. "Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum - Perfect for All Ages!." Visit Fort Wayne. April 5, 2016. https://www.visitfortwayne.com/blog/post/fort-wayne-firefighters-museum-perfect-for-all-ages-18425.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons