Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Home to the second oldest Lutheran congregation in the state, Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church is one of Fort Wayne's most recognizable landmarks. It was built in 1889 and is one of the best examples of Gothic architecture in northern Indiana. For this reason, coupled with its association with the congregation, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Its most prominent feature, the tower, reaches a height of 214 feet. The church also features vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows. The congregation itself was founded in 1837 and was one of the first of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The congregation has owned this site since 1839 and built its original church at that time.
Backstory and Context
Wayne Jones & Rosella Foelber. "Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. March 1, 1982. https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/shaard/r/1d446/N/St_Pauls_Evangelical_Lutheran_Church_Allen_CO_Nom.pdf.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons