The Seney-Stovall Chapel features an octagonal shape, brickwork, and a Victorian style. Since its construction in 1885, the Chapel has undergone multiple restoration efforts; it is now a culmination of those efforts and hosts physical features informed by various time periods ranging from the late nineteenth century to the late twentieth century. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
The Chapel continued to serve the female students until 1931, when the Lucy Cobb Institute was forced to close its doors in the midst of the Great Depression. Its ownership was then transferred to the University of Georgia in 1953, but it remained unused and deteriorated from 1931-61.2 In the 1970’s, citizens of Athens, GA took over restoration efforts which were led by the grandson of Nellie Stovall and historian, Phinizy Spalding.3 During its restoration, the Chapel received two appropriations from the U.S. Congress as well as donations from public and private donors. Restoration of the Chapel lasted for more than thirty years, having been fully completed in 1997.
The Seney-Stovall Chapel is now home to the University of Georgia's Carl Vinson Institute for Government. It can be booked for public use for a variety of events, including: plays, concerts, weddings, lectures, and more. It is now available for tours only by appointment. Admission is free.
2. "Seney-Stovall Chapel," University of Georgia, Apr. 24, 2019, https://www.uga.edu/a-z/location/seney-stovall-chapel.html.
3. Sarah H. Case, "Lucy Cobb Institute," New Georgia Encyclopedia, 2004, Apr. 24, 2019, https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/education/lucy-cobb-institute.