Princess Theater & Masonic Temple
Mount Hope’s Princess Theater opened 1925 inside the Neo-Classical style Masonic Building. The 800-seat, first-floor auditorium, part of J. Woodrow Thomas’s circuit, offered films and performances
Backstory and Context
Ravaged by the fire of 1910 the town of Mount Hope began to receive investment by the New River Company through a series of commercial construction projects. Sam Dixon was the founding charter member of the masons. Without a regular meeting spot, the group would begin taking collections from area businessman to build a lodge to serve their needs. One of those projects included the completion of the Masonic Lodge Building in 1925. The Princess Theater and Masonic Lodge, built as the first fire-proof building in West Virginia, would become an ammunition reserve during World War II. With a seating capacity of 800, the Princess Theater was designed to be an integral component of Mount Hope's community core.