Beth Israel Synagogue (Canaan Institutional Baptist Church)
Now called the Canaan Institutional Baptist Church, this historic, former Jewish temple was built in 1906. It was home to an Orthodox congregation that is now known as Beth Israel of Norwalk/Westport Chabad. The building is the only known Jewish temple in the state featuring Moorish onion domes; it is also likely the only one in the state built out of wood. For these reasons, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Wikimedia Commons