Plans for the Scioto County courthouse were purchased by the county commissioners for 15 dollars to build the new courthouse so, the two courthouses are virtually identical. The architect S.S. Bergen was contracted for the courthouse. The architecture of the courthouse is Greek Revival with Doric columns, pilasters, a bracketed cornice, and a circular dome on top with windows. It was primarily made of brick but some stone trim is around the windows. In 1877 additions were made to the courthouse due to lack of interior space.
During John Hunt Morgan's raid in 1863, Morgan road through Meigs County and past the courthouse. After his defeat at Buffington Island, many prisoners of war were taken. The courthouse in Pomeroy was used as a temporary jail for 200 of Morgan's men. There is a statue next to the courthouse which has the names of all the soldiers from Meigs County who died in the Civil War.
Pomeroy has been in an economic decline for some time. The decline of the mining industries has greatly impacted the village of Pomeroy. This has prevented the renovation of buildings in Pomeroy. Many buildings are the same as when they were built. The courthouse is one such buildings and it is still in use to this day.