William Edgar Haymond House
This historic home was completed in 1894 for the family of William E. Haymond, a leading citizen of Sutton who owned several businesses and worked as an attorney. The home overlooks the Elk River and its original Queen Anne design retains both its historical and structural inegrity. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its architecture and its connection to Haymond.
Photo postcard of Stonewall Street in Sutton, ca. 1910. The Haymond house can be seen at center left.
William Edgar Haymond house today
Original gas lighting fixture
Original lincrusta wall trimming
Original electric lighting fixture on stairs
Original floors and light fixture
William Edgar Haymond
Backstory and Context
Located next to the Elk River in Sutton, the William Edgar Haymond House dates back to 1894. Haymond hired Edward Bates Franzheim, a well-recognized architect from Wheeling to design the home. The home stands on its origial sandstone foundation and is held up by four round-order Doric columns. The home's Queen-Anne style also reflects from Franzheim’s design and remains one of the home's notable qualities. The home also features its original hardwood floors, stairwells, all coverings, and lighting fixtures that are a mixture of gas and electric.
Haymond is remembered for his contributions to law and industrial interests in this area of West Virginia. William Edgar Haymond was admitted to the state bar in Sutton in 1879. Haymond was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Braxton county in 1884 and served in that capacity for eight years. He was also the chief council for E.D. Fulton of New York in the case against Geo. J. Gould, The Little Kanawha Syndicat in which about 50,000 acres of coal land was involved in Braxton and Gilmer counties. For his services in this suit, Haymond was paid thirty-five thousand dollars. Haymond also worked to support the extension of the Coal & Coke Railroad, a development that brought considerable growth to the town of Sutton.
William E. Haymond sold his house in 1922 and the next owners endeavored to maintain the property and keep most of its original design. The most notable alteration is the addition of aluminum siding to the exterior which occurred in the 1980s. Due to the home’s preservation and connection to Haymond’s influential life, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
1. History of Braxton County and central West Virginia. Internet Archive. . Accessed February 20, 2019. https://archive.org/stream/historyofbraxton00sutt/historyofbraxton00sutt_djvu.txt.
2. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. West Virginia Culture. . Accessed February 20, 2019. http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/braxton/04000356.pdf.
3. Photo of Edward Bates Franzheim. Ohio County Public Library. Accessed February 20, 2019. http://www.ohiocountylibrary.org/wheeling-history/4249.
4. Photo of William E. Haymond House. Old House Dreams. Accessed February 20, 2019. https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2018/07/09/1884-queen-anne-sutton-wv/.
"View of Stonewall Street, Sutton, W. Va.," West Virginia HIstory OnView, West VIrginia and REgional History Center, WVU Libraries. https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/041832.