Liberty Hill School meets National Register of Historic Places Criterion A in the areas of education and black ethnic heritage and Criterion C in the area of architecture. The 1930 school, which stands at a lonely hilltop location established as a school site in the nineteenth century, was built for the African American children of the Covington area of Richmond County with assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. The Craftsman-influenced frame building is closely modeled on the Rosenwald Fund's north or south facing “Two Teacher Community School,” a design by Rosenwald Fund Director Samuel L. Smith published in 1924.