Formerly part of Washington Seminary, a distinguished girls' school, this building dates to 1897. In 1940, W&J acquired McIlvaine through a bequest of Judge John A. McIlvaine, class of 1865, the former President of the board of trustees. Immediately, the building was prepared for use as a much needed Biology Department Building. Until the construction of Dieter-Porter Life Science Building in 1980, it provided classroom space, labs, and contained a first floor auditorium. Among the interesting exterior features of McIlvaine is the portico, modeled after that at Mt. Vernon. Now a multi-purpose building, McIlvaine is the headquarters for the Sociology and Philosophy Departments, as well as the site of some classes for various English courses.