Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception
This Catholic Church built in Washington County in 1929 to serve the residents. The roots of the Immaculate Conception parish go back to St. James Church in West Alexander in the late 18th century. Priests from Brownsville came by horseback to tend the faithful of West Alexander, Claysville, and Washington, then in 1852, the first resident pastor, Rev. Daniel Hickey was appointed, and then shortly after construction began on the first Immaculate Conception.
Backstory and Context