The Society of Friends, or Quakers, in the Lahaska area completed their current meetinghouse in 1768. Made of local stone, the Georgian two-story house of worship has been altered little since its completion. It is significant in the history of Quaker architecture and Quakerism due to its “doubled” design that provided equal business quarters for men and women through twin sets of double doors. It became the model that other meetinghouses followed for the next century and is an early example of gender equality in the colonies and, later, the United States. For this reason, and others, it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2003.
the Society of Friends from England settled in the area just north of
Philadelphia in the early 18th century. However, some, like those in Buckingham, had
to travel long distances to other meetinghouses. Members of the Buckingham Monthly Meeting
traveled to the Falls Meeting in southern Bucks County as early as 1702. (Quaker communities are referred to as monthly
meetings as they hold community business meetings on a monthly basis). In 1705, a member of the Falls Meeting
donated ten acres to the Buckingham Meeting and they quickly built a log
meetinghouse on the site. They were then
granted their own monthly meeting in 1720.
That meetinghouse was either expanded or re-built entirely later. It is not certain which.
certain, a new meetinghouse was built between 1729 and 1731 and as the meeting
expanded, talk of a larger meetinghouse ensued as early as 1750. However, a new location could not be agreed
upon. Unfortunately, that meetinghouse
burned down, which forced the Friend’s hand and construction on the current
meetinghouse began in 1767 under the supervision of Thomas Smith and Joseph Ellicott. Mathias Hutchinson was the master builder and
it is assumed he was the architect as well.
Built of local stone, the simple but sturdy meetinghouse was completed in
this meetinghouse unique among all others was its design which was, and still
is, committed to gender equality. Certain
practices have been part of Quakerism since its founding such as pacifism,
humility, and the equality of all members.
While Quakers worship together, monthly community business meetings were
separated by gender with each having responsibility in certain areas. For example, women oversaw things such as
marriages, child rearing and infidelity.
However, the accommodations for the women’s meetings were usually smaller
and more austere than their male counterparts.
The Buckingham Meeting House was the first in the country to change that
in practice was due to the Quietist movement during which the Friends turned
inward and more insular after the French and Indian War and its associated
violence. Members could now be expelled
from the Society of Friends if they married “outside the meeting.” Since religious morals and matrimony rules
were now being enforced, and since that enforcement fell under the purview of
female members, the Buckingham Meeting decided they required equal quarters in
which to conduct their monthly business meetings. Thus, Hutchinson designed a meetinghouse with
two sets of double doors on each side with a moveable partition down the center. This design would then be emulated among
other Quaker communities for over a century.
Meetinghouse has remained largely intact since its construction with minor
alterations coming with improved technology, such as indoor plumbing, electricity,
and heating. It is still utilized every
First Day (Sunday) for the community’s spiritual needs and, as always, welcomes
visitors to include the spiritually curious.
Singing begins every Sunday at 10:15 with hour long worship beginning at