Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad Station
Built-in 1910 by the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad, this historic station stands prominently at the intersection of Main Street and Depot Street in Springville. The 1.5 story building is an excellent an early 20th-century railroad depot and serves as a physical reminder of the critical role railroads played in the economic development of Springville and the rest of western New York. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is the only depot remaining on the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh railway line. It is not clear what the building is used for today.
Backstory and Context
In the early 1880s, Springville and other towns in Erie County requested that the railroad build lines to them. The business community in Springville supported this effort and played a vital role in convincing the railroad company to provide service to Springville. The railroad benefited the town substantially as it provided businesses with faster shipment of goods and materials. The first depot, a wood-frame structure, was built in 1885. As the town grew, the need for a larger depot became obvious. This is what prompted the construction of the 1910 depot.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons