Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965, Morrill Hall is significant for being the first building constructed for Cornell University. It was built in 1868 and is a fine example of the Second Empire architectural style. It is named after Vermont Senator Justin Smith Morrill, who crafted legislation—called the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act of 1862—that essentially granted federal lands in each state for the purpose of establishing institutions of higher learning. The Act is what facilitated the founding of the university and the construction of Morrill Hall, which is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was originally used for a variety of purposes including housing, classrooms, and administrative offices. Today, the Department of Science and Technology Studies is located in the building.
Backstory and Context
"Morrill Hall Facility Information." Cornell University. Accessed January 4, 2019. https://www.fs.cornell.edu/facinfo/fs_facilInfo.cfm?facil_cd=2001.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons